Millennium film Journal - Issue 71/72 (spring/fall 2020)
Issue 71 was scheduled for publication in April 2020, when the COVID-19 crisis was raging around the world. The Editors decided to publish it in fall 2020 as part of a double-size issue: 184 pages of knowledge and inspiration for film lovers!
They asked artists, writers, curators, and viewers how they managed their personal and creative lives during the coronavirus Shelter-in-Place. Their answers came in texts, poetry, and images.
CRISIS is not only about pandemics though. This double issue reflects on the important turning points of these unprecedented times. It includes discussions of films and video works that engage the systemic racism crisis pervading American society and elsewhere, and the climate crisis that is already upon us with devastating consequences.
in this issue:
- Feelings, or Documenting Neighbors in New York (The Giverny Document) – Greg de Cuir Jr.
- Can and must we make film now? (moving images, Emergency and Production Porn from Virtual Oberhausen) – Miriam de Rosa
- Easter Morning from home: Bruce Conner – Johanna Gosse
- Ben Rivers’ Now, at Last!
- Chiara Ambrosio’s La Frequenza Fantasma
- John Akomfrah’s The Last Angel of History / Otolith Group’s Hydra Decapita
- Marianna Simnett’s The Bird Game
- Mother I am Suffocating, This is my last film about you by Lemohang Jeremiah Moses
- Kzrystof Wodiczko’s Monument
- Community video archives of Oaxaca
- Christian Marclay’s 48 War Movies at Paula Cooper Gallery, NY
- Peggy Ahwesh’s Cleave
- and more.
- Inhabiting Impossibility: On Not Curating During the Pandemic – by Kim Knowles
- Small-File Movies: Saving the Planet, One Pixel at a Time – by Laura U. Marks
- To Teach Without Touch: Reflections on Distance Teaching – Victoria Duckett, Liz Baulch
- Digital Pandemic: Programming and Accessing ARtists’Film during the Lockdown – by Enrico Camporesi
- On Jonas Mekas – by Amy Herzog
- and more.
- COVID Manifesto – by Cauleen Smith
- The Camera is the Message – by Christina Lammer
Bruce Baillie, Terry Cannon, Luther Price, Carolee Schneemann, Woody Vasulka, Peter Wollen